Kearny Financial Corp. (NASDAQ: KRNY), the holding company of Kearny Bank, today declared net income for the quarter ended December 31, 2017, of $1.30M, or $0.020 per basic and diluted share.
The results represent a decline in net income of $3.90M compared to net income of $5.20M, or $0.070 per basic and diluted share, for the quarter ended September 30, 2017.
The Act permanently reduced the Company’s federal income tax rate from 35.00% to 21.00% while also including other provisions that altered the deductibility of certain recurring costs recognized by the Company.
While, collectively, the provisions of the Act are expected to benefit the Company’s future earnings, it resulted in a $3.50M net diminution in the carrying value of the Company’s deferred income tax assets and liabilities with an equal and offsetting charge to income tax cost throughout the 3-months ended December 31, 2017.
The $3.50M charge to income tax cost resulted from a $4.90M charge to reflect the reduced carrying value of the Company’s net deferred tax asset attributable to timing differences in the recognition of certain income and cost items for financial statement reporting purposes versus that recognized for income tax reporting purposes.
That charge was partially offset by a $1.40M reduction in the net deferred income tax liability primarily attributable to the net unrealized gains and losses on the Company’s interest rate derivatives and available for sale securities portfolios.
The net charge of $3.50M attributable to the changes in the carrying value of deferred income tax items was partially offset by a $769,000.00 diminution in current-year income tax cost attributable to the noted diminution in the Company’s income tax rate.
For the current “transition” year ending June 30, 2018, the Company’s statutory federal income tax rate has been condensed to 28.00%, reflecting effective statutory rates of 35.00% and 21.00% for the 1st-and 2nd-halves of the year, respectively. For the fiscal year ending June 30, 2019, and thereafter, the Company’s statutory federal income tax rate will be condensed to 21.0%.
As noted above, the decline in net income between linked periods also reflects the Company’s recognition of $1.20M of merger-related costs related to its proposed acquisition of CSBK. The Company estimates that net income was adversely impacted by about $1.00M for merger-related costs recognized throughout the 3-months ended December 31, 2017, due to their limited income tax deductibility.
The proposed CSBK acquisition was announced on November 1, 2017, whereby the Company entered into a definitive agreement pursuant to which it will acquire CSBK in an all-stock transaction. Under the terms of the agreement, each outstanding share of CSBK common stock will be exchanged for 1.1910 shares of KRNY common stock.
Excluding the impacts on net income arising from federal income tax reform and merger-related costs discussed above, the Company’s net income would have been $5.00M or $0.060 per basic and diluted share for the 3-months ended December 31, 2017.
The Company continued to execute strategies throughout the 2nd-quarter of fiscal 2018 intended to raise and diversify its balance sheet while increasing its core earnings and prudently managing capital to promote long-term growth in investor value. These strategies resulted in numerous incremental balance sheet development and diversification achievements that are included among the following highlights for the quarter:
- The Company’s aggregate loan portfolio, excluding loans held for sale and the allowance for loan losses, inclined by $31.20M to $3.290 billion, or 68.00% of total assets, at December 31, 2017, from $3.260 billion, or 67.80% of total assets, at September 30, 2017.
- The growth in the loan portfolio largely reflected the Company’s continued strategic focus on growing and diversifying its commercial loan portfolio with the outstanding balance of construction loans increasing by $13.90M to $22.20M at December 31, 2017 while the outstanding balance of commercial business loans inclined by $10.80M to $92.40M for that similar period.
- For those similar comparative periods, the balance of commercial mortgage loans remained stable at $2.510 billion. The overall stability in the balance of commercial mortgage loans reflected an accelerated pace of loan prepayments that offset the growth in loans arising from new loan origination volume.
- The Company continues to perform strategies designed to incline the origination volume of commercial mortgage loans to compensate for the noted incline in prepayments. Toward that end, the Company’s pipeline of commercial mortgage loans in the underwriting process inclined throughout the quarter ended December 31, 2017.
- The outstanding balance of residential mortgage loans held in the portfolio, including home equity loans and lines of credit, inclined by $15.00M to $655.30M at December 31, 2017, from $640.30M at September 30, 2017.
- The incline largely reflected loan purchases of about $22.20M throughout the 3-months ended December 31, 2017, that were intended to augment the development in the loan portfolio and partially offset the effects of the incline in prepayments noted above.
- Nonperforming loans declined by $1.80M to $16.30M, or 0.50% of total loans, at December 31, 2017, from $18.10M, or 0.560% of total loans, at September 30, 2017.
- The allowance for loan losses inclined to $30.10M at December 31, 2017, from $29.40M at September 30, 2017, resulting in a “total loan coverage ratio”, representing the balance of the allowance for loan losses as a%age of total loans, of 0.910% and 0.9%, respectively.
- The “nonperforming loan coverage ratio”, representing the balance of the allowance for loan losses as a%age of nonperforming loans, inclined to 184.00% at December 31, 2017, from 162.60% at September 30, 2017.
- The Company’s securities portfolio declined by $10.40M to $1.110 billion, or 22.90% of total assets, at December 31, 2017, from $1.120 billion, or 23.30% of total assets, at September 30, 2017. The net decline in the securities portfolio partly reflected normal principal repayments arising from amortization and maturities of securities.
- A portion of the security repayments was used to fund the growth in loans while the remainder was reinvested into uncapped, floating-rate securities, tax-advantaged municipal securities, mortgage-backed securities and subordinated debt issued by two community banks located in New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania. The decline in the securities portfolio also reflected a $2.00M decline in the fair value of the available for sale securities portfolio throughout the period.
- The balance of cash and cash equivalents inclined by $11.90M to $50.70M at December 31, 2017, from $38.80M on September 30, 2017. The incline largely reflected day-to-day operating fluctuations in the Company’s balance of cash and cash equivalents.
- Notwithstanding the noted incline in the comparative period-end balances, the Company continues to limit the balance of cash and cash equivalents held to the minimum levels needed to meet its day-to-day funding obligations and overall liquidity risk management objectives.
- Toward that end, the average balance of other interest-earning assets remained stable at $82.50M for the quarter ended December 31, 2017, compared to $79.90M for the quarter ended September 30, 2017.
- Other interest-earning assets generally include the balance of interest-earning cash deposits held in other banks coupled with the balance of the Bank’s mandatory investment in the capital stock of the Federal Home Loan Bank of New York.
- The Company’s total deposits inclined by $80.50M to $3.030 billion at December 31, 2017, from $2.95 billion at September 30, 2017.
- The net growth in deposits included an $84.70M incline in interest-bearing deposits that was partially offset by a $4.20M decline in non-interest-bearing deposits.
- The growth in interest-bearing deposits largely reflected the continuing effects of product, pricing and marketing strategies enacted throughout fiscal 2017. The decline in non-interest-bearing deposits largely reflected day-to-day operating fluctuations in such balances.
- Notwithstanding the noted decline in the comparative period-end balances, the average balance of non-interest-bearing deposits inclined by $2.40M between comparative periods.
- Total borrowings declined by $9.70M to $798.90M at December 31, 2017, from $808.6M at September 30, 2017.
- The decline in borrowings largely reflected a $9.70M decline in depositor sweep account balances representing normal day-to-day fluctuations in such balances.
- The Company’s stockholders’ equity declined by $25.00M to $989.30M at December 31, 2017, from $1.010 billion at September 30, 2017. The decline largely reflected the effects of the Company’s share repurchases and cash dividends paid to stockholders throughout the period.
- The decline in stockholders’ equity was partially offset by net income earned throughout the period coupled with a net incline in accumulated other comprehensive income reflecting an incline in the fair value of the Company’s derivatives portfolio, which was partially offset by a decline in the fair value of the Company’s available for sale securities portfolio.
- At December 31, 2017, the Company’s total consolidated equity to assets ratio was 20.420% while the Bank’s total consolidated equity to assets ratio was 17.680%.
- The Company’s and Bank’s capital ratios at December 31, 2017, were well in excess of the levels required by federal banking regulators to be classified as “well-capitalized” under regulatory guidelines.
As highlighted below, the noted balance sheet growth, reinvestment and reallocation achievements helped to offset the adverse effects of an incline in market interest rates and a flattening yield curve on the Company’s net interest margin:
- The Company’s net interest income was $26.80M for the quarters ended December 31, 2017, and September 30, 2017, reflecting an incline of $25,000.00 between comparative periods.
- The Company’s net interest margin inclined by one basis point to 2.410% for the quarter ended December 31, 2017, from 2.40% for the quarter ended September 30, 2017, while the net interest rate spread also inclined by one basis point to 2.140% from 2.130% for those similar comparative periods, respectively.
The level of the Company’s charge-offs and provision for loan losses continued to reflect strong asset quality metrics:
- The Company recognized net charge-offs totaling approximately $315,000.00, reflecting an annualized charge-off rate of 0.040% on the average balance of total loans for the quarter ended December 31, 2017.
- By comparison, the Company’s net charge-offs totaled approximately $471,000.00 for the quarter ended September 30, 2017, reflecting a net charge-off rate of 0.060%.
- The Company’s provision for loan losses inclined by $306,000.00 to $936,000.00 for the quarter ended December 31, 2017, compared to $630,000.00 for the quarter ended September 30, 2017.
- The incline in the provision was partly attributable to the comparatively greater level of growth throughout the quarter ended December 31, 2017, in the performing portion of the loan portfolio that is collectively evaluated for impairment using historical and environmental loss factors. Such growth was concentrated in specific segments of the loan portfolio whose estimated credit losses for ALLL calculation purposes are based on comparatively higher loss factors compared to other segments of the portfolio.
- The effects of the greater level of growth in the portfolio were partially offset by the decline in net charge-offs between the two comparative periods, as discussed above. The incline in the provision also reflected updates to historical and environmental loss factors throughout the period.
The strategies executed by the Company throughout the quarter ended December 31, 2017, continued to strengthen and diversify its sources of non-interest income, as highlighted below:
- Gains on sale of residential mortgage loans totaled $200,000.00 for the quarter ended December 31, 2017, compared to $213,000.00 for the quarter ended September 30, 2017.
- The modest decline in sale gains reflected a decline in the volume of loans originated and sold that was partially offset by an incline in the average net gain recognized per loan sold between comparative periods. There were no SBA loans originated and sold throughout the 3-months ended December 31, 2017.
In addition to the items noted above, fees and service charges inclined by $148,000.00 to $1.40M for the quarter ended December 31, 2017, from $1.30M for the quarter ended September 30, 2017. The incline was largely attributable to an incline in commercial mortgage loan prepayment charges recognized between comparative periods.
The Company continues to evaluate and implement tactics and strategies designed to improve operating practices, policies and procedures while making more efficient and effective use of its supporting infrastructure, including human resources, facilities and information technology systems.
- The Company’s ratio of non-interest cost to average assets totaled 1.890% for the quarter ended December 31, 2017, compared to 1.770% for the prior quarter ended September 30, 2017. For those similar comparative periods, the Company’s operating efficiency ratio inclined to 75.60% from 71.20%, respectively.
- As noted earlier, the inclines in these ratios reflect the recognition of $1.20M in non-recurring merger-related costs throughout the 3-months ended December 31, 2017, for which no such costs were recognized throughout the earlier comparative quarter.
- Excluding the impact of merger-related costs, the Company’s non-interest cost to average assets and efficiency ratios would have been 1.790% and 71.70%, respectively, for the 3-months ended December 31, 2017.
Collectively, the factors noted above contributed to the decline in net income for the quarter ended December 31, 2017, compared to the prior quarter ended September 30, 2017. The decline in net income had an unfavorable impact on the Company’s earnings-based performance ratios as highlighted below:
- The Company’s return on average assets for the quarter ended December 31, 2017, totaled 0.110% compared to 0.430% for the prior quarter ended September 30, 2017.
- Excluding the impacts on net income arising from federal income tax reform and merger-related costs discussed above, the Company’s return on average assets would have been 0.420% for the 3-months ended December 31, 2017.
- The Company’s return on average equity for the quarter ended December 31, 2017, totaled 0.510% compared to 2.0% for the prior quarter ended September 30, 2017.
- Excluding the impacts on net income arising from federal income tax reform and merger-related costs discussed above, the Company’s return on average equity would have been 2.0% for the 3-months ended December 31, 2017.
The Company continued to execute key capital management strategies throughout the 2nd-quarter of fiscal 2018 to further support shareholder value:
- The Company maintained its regular quarterly cash dividend payable to stockholders of $0.03 per share declared and paid throughout the quarter ended December 31, 2017.
- In May 2017, the Company announced its 2nd-share repurchase program through which it authorized the repurchase of 8,559,084.00 shares, or 10.00%, of the Company’s outstanding shares.
- Throughout the quarter ended December 31, 2017, the Company repurchased a total of 1,943,840.00 of its shares at an average cost of $14.830 per share.
- Through December 31, 2017, the Company has repurchased a total of 5,986,840.00 shares, or 69.90% of the number of shares authorized under the current program, at a total cost of $87.00M and at an average cost of $14.540 per share.
Suspiria Remake Cast: Who’s Who in the 2018 Horror Film
Suspiria Remake Cast: Suspiria is a 2018 supernatural horror film directed by Luca Guadagnino and inspired by Dario Argento’s 1977 Italian film of the same name. Dakota Johnson stars as an American dancer who enrolls at an elite dance academy in Berlin only to find that it is run by an underground coven of witches.
Tilda Swinton appears as three distinct roles – Tilda Swinton playing lead choreographer for the academy; psychotherapist (played by male psychotherapist), coven leader – in her three different roles. Mia Goth, Elena Fokina Chloe Grace Moretz Angela Winkler Ingrid Caven Sylvie Testud Renee Soutendijk also makes appearances in this version.
Dakota Johnson portrays Susie Bannion / Mother Suspiriorum
Dakota Johnson is best-known for her portrayal of Anastasia Steele in the Fifty Shades of Grey franchise, although she has also appeared in films such as The Social Network, Black Mass, How to Be Single and Bad Times at the El Royale. In Suspiria, she plays Susie Bannion from Ohio who auditions and joins Berlin’s Markos Dance Academy where Madame Blanc (Swinton), its artistic director, soon becomes her mentor and becomes more impressed by Susie’s talent and intuition than she anticipated.
However, she begins experiencing disturbing visions and nightmares and finds out that the academy is hiding a dark secret. Soon she realizes she may be the reincarnation of one of the Three Mothers; ancient witches known to dominate darkness.
Tilda Swinton stars as Madame Blanc, Mother Helena Markos and Dr. Josef Klemperer respectively in this play.
Tilda Swinton is an Academy Award-winning actress who has collaborated with director Luca Guadagnino on multiple movies such as I Am Love, A Bigger Splash and Call Me by Your Name. She has become well-known for her diverse and captivating performances in films like Orlando, The Chronicles of Narnia, Michael Clayton, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Snowpiercer, Doctor Strange and Okja.
Suspiria gives her three distinct roles to portray
Madame Blanc, Mother Helena Markos, and Dr. Josef Klemperer. Madame Blanc is the artistic director for Markos Dance Academy and powerful witch who leads its coven; she takes an interest in Susie to groom her as her successor. Mother Helena Markos is the founder of the Academy and oldest living witch.
She claims to be Mother Suspiriorum and demands sacrifices from other witches in order to extend her life. Dr. Josef Klemperer (portrayed by Swinton), was initially introduced as Patricia (Moretz). Patricia then revealed the truth about witches at her former academy – prompting Klemperer to investigate it further and rescue Susie from its clutches. Klemperer is known in this role by its full name of Lutz Ebersdorf.
Mia Goth, an English actress and model, first made her debut in Lars von Trier’s Nymphomaniac. Since then she has featured in films like Everest, A Cure for Wellness, High Life and Emma as well as playing Sara Simms from Suspiria; an acquaintance and roommate of Susie at the academy who becomes suspicious of its activities after witnessing some strange occurrences at school; initially dismissive of Patricia’s claims about witches but eventually becomes involved herself with uncovering its secrets with help from Dr Klemperer only to become trapped herself by them all!
Elena Fokina as Olga Ivanova
Elena Fokina, a Russian dancer and actress, makes her film debut in Suspiria as Olga Ivanova – another student at the academy who is close with Patricia and Sara; after Patricia goes missing she becomes angry with Madame Blanc and accuses her of witchcraft; storming out of rehearsal only to be trapped in an invisible force whose movements mirror Susie’s dance movements, contorting and mauling her horribly until finally being brutally disfigured and maimed by it.
Chloe Grace Moretz plays Patricia Hingle
Chloe Grace Moretz, known by many as Chloe Moretz, first achieved prominence as a child star in films like Kick-Ass, Let Me In, Hugo and Carrie. Later she made appearances in films such as If I Stay, The Equalizer The 5th Wave and Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising. Moretz portrays Patricia Hingle from Suspiria who becomes paranoid and terrified of witches; confides in Dr Klemperer about her feelings before leaving her diary with him drawings and notes about their coven; eventually being captured and killed by them using body parts from Patricia.
Angela Winkler portrays Miss Tanner
Angela Winkler is a German actress known for appearing in such movies as The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum, The Tin Drum, Benny’s Video and Clouds of Sils Maria. In Suspiria she plays Miss Tanner – one of Madame Blanc’s loyal disciples at the academy and one of its matrons responsible for students training and discipline – while helping prepare Susie for ritual.
Ingrid Caven was chosen as Miss Vendegast
Ingrid Caven is a German actress and singer best known for her roles as Miss Vendegast in Suspiria. In this movie she played one of its matronly figures who supported Mother Markos over Madame Blanc – as one of its oldest members and an advocate of Mother Markos over Madame Blanc.
Sylvie Testud plays Miss Griffith
Sylvie Testud is an award-winning French actress, writer, and director. Her performances can be found in films such as Murderous Maids, Fear and Trembling, La Vie en Rose and Lourdes; for Suspiria she played Miss Griffith, an unhappy matron of an academy who attempts suicide by stabbing herself in the neck; she survived only to be fatally shot by Mother Suspiriorum later.
Renee Soutendijk plays Miss Huller
Renee Soutendijk is a Dutch actress known for appearing in films such as Spetters, The Fourth Man, Eve of Destruction and The Girl With Red Hair. In Suspiria she plays Miss Huller who is one of a few witches who vote for Madame Blanc over Mother Markos.
Jessica Harper as Anke Meier
Jessica Harper is an American actress and singer best known for her portrayal of Suzy Bannion in the original Suspiria. Additionally, she appeared in films like Phantom of the Paradise, Shock Treatment, Pennies from Heaven and Minority Report. In Suspiria she plays Anke Meier – Dr. Klemperer’s wife who disappeared during Nazi rule – who appears in visions to him on ritual night before leading him there; later it turns out she was just an illusion created by Madame Blanc to lure him there.
FAQ: The Ultimate Guide to Your Questions
Q: What is Suspiria About?
A: Suspiria is a horror film set in Berlin where an academy run by a coven of witches uses its students for sinister ends. Susie Bannion discovers she may be the reincarnation of an ancient witch with potential power to challenge their leader and the coven’s leader, however the plot thickens with more shocking discoveries about Susie being part of this group of evil.
Q: Are the events depicted in Suspiria based on actual incidents?
A: No, Suspiria isn’t based on a true story; rather it draws its inspiration from Dario Argento’s 1977 film of the same name made loosely on Thomas De Quincey’s essay called “Suspiria de Profundis.” De Quincey’s essay contains a section called “Levana and Our Ladies of Sorrow”, which introduces the Three Mothers – powerful witches who dominate darkness.
Q: How Does Suspiria End?
A: Suspiria’s story concludes with a bloody ritual where Mother Markos attempts to transfer her essence into Susie; however, when Susie discovers she was really Mother Suspiriorum she kills Mother Markos and most other witches involved with the coven while sparing Madame Blanc who tried to protect her and some students unaware of its activities. Later she visits Dr. Klemperer who witnessed this act and erases his memories of both his wife and the academy telling him it would all come together in one piece so he may finally rest peacefully before leaving him in peace.
Californication Cast: Where Are They Now?
Californication Cast: Californication was a Showtime comedy series which ran for seven seasons from 2007 to 2014. The show follows Hank Moody (David Duchovny), an ambitious novelist living in Los Angeles with his ex-partner Karen (Natascha McElhone) and teenage daughter Becca (Madeleine Martin). Hank is plagued with writer’s block, substance abuse issues and complicated relationships with various women such as his agent Charlie (Evan Handler) and wife Marcy (Pamela Adlon).
Californication Cast Exposed: The shocking secrets and scandals of the actors behind the raunchy comedy-drama series
1. David Duchovny | Californication Cast
He acted as Hank Moody: As the protagonist of the show, Hank is an talented yet troubled writer trying to balance his career, family and love life. While charming and self-deprecating at times, Hank is also often irresponsible and self-destructive in nature; often getting into trouble with law, publishers or former lovers such as Karen or Becca. Despite this he still deeply loves them both yet struggles committing or staying faithful in relationships.
2. Natascha McElhone | Californication Cast
She acted as Karen Van Der Beek: Karen Van Der Beek was Hank’s ex-partner and Becca’s mother before they parted ways, an architect who moved with Hank to Los Angeles so she can pursue her career. Smart, beautiful, independent Karen finds herself bothered by Hank’s antics and infidelity as well as wanting more out of life than what their relationship offers her.
3. Evan Handler | Californication Cast
He plays Charlie Runkle: Hank is Hank’s longtime pal and agent, Charlie being both loyal but inept at crime. Married to Marcy (owner of waxing salon), but their marriage is marred by sexual issues and his affairs; as well as frequently getting involved with Hank’s schemes that threaten both his career and reputation; Charlie also is the loving parent to Stuart (whom they had together after an earlier separation).
4. Pamela Adlon | Californication Cast
She plays Marcy Runkle: Charlie’s wife and Hank’s friend, Marcy is an outspoken and sassy businesswoman who runs her own waxing salon. While she loves Charlie deeply, she often feels discontented with their sex life and his lack of ambition; due to this dissatisfaction Marcy engages in drug use and promiscuity which causes affairs with Rick Springfield and Stu Beggs as well as becoming pregnant by them after divorcing Charlie; later reconciling both, raising their child together.
5. Madeleine Martin | Californication Cast
She acted as Becca Moody: Hank and Karen Moody’s daughter Becca is an intelligent teen with an affinity for music and writing who feels embarrassed by her parents’ dysfunctional relationship. Becca encounters romantic troubles with various boys such as Damien Miller (Ezra Miller), Tyler Foster (Scott Michael Foster), and Levon Cooper (Oliver Cooper). Eventually she relocates to New York in pursuit of college studies and her dreams.
1. Madeline Zima | Californication Cast
She acted as Mia Lewis: An aspiring writer who seduces Hank without divulging that she is Bill Lewis (Damian Young), 16-year-old son. Later she blackmails Hank by stealing his manuscript and publishing it as her own novel; additionally she develops an obsession with him while trying to disrupt his relationship with Karen.
2. Callum Keith Rennie | Californication Cast
He acted as Lew Ashby Hank is hired by famous rock producer Lew Ashby in season two to write his biography, becoming Hank’s mentor and friend through their mutual passions for music, women, drugs and their friendship. Lew also falls for Janie Jones (Madchen Amick), one of Hank’s former lovers who had broken his heart but eventually broke it himself.
3. Jason Beghe | Californication Cast
He acted as Richard Bates: Richard is a college professor whom Karen married after she broke up with Hank. An alcoholic suffering from bipolar disorder, Richard initially dislikes Hank but eventually becomes friendly towards him; additionally he briefly dates Carrie (Natalie Zea), Hank’s stalker.
4. Rachel Miner | Californication Cast
She portrays Dani: Charlie’s assistant and lover who betrays him by sleeping with Sue Collini’s (Kathleen Turner) boss Sue and stealing clients away from him. Dani then becomes an agent herself competing against Charlie for Hank’s business.
Bosom Buddies Cast: Everything You Need to Know
Bosom Buds was an American sitcom broadcast on ABC from 1980 to 1982 that starred Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari as two men posing as women so as to live at an affordable hotel for female guests. Also appearing were Donna Dixon, Holland Taylor, Telma Hopkins, Wendie Jo Sperber and Lucille Benson in various supporting roles.
Bosom Buddies Cast: The Most Hilarious and Lovable Duo in TV History
This article takes an in-depth look at the cast and characters from Bosom Buddies as well as their roles on the show, along with interesting trivia about it.
Have you ever considered what life would be like as someone from an opposite gender? Kip Wilson and Henry Desmond, two co-workers at an advertising agency decide to explore this option when their apartment is demolished without anywhere for them to stay. When they arrive at Susan B. Anthony Hotel they meet an array of fascinating characters: Sonny Lumet is a model/dancer/nurse; Isabelle Hammond sings; Lilly Sinclair manages it while Ruth Dunbar serves as their boss (but they must disguise themselves by dressing like women from Kip/Henry’s childhood tales while Amy Cassidy working reception at their agency is aware of their plan.
Bosom Buds was an unforgettable blend of comedy, cross-dressing, romance and friendship that introduced Tom Hanks to Hollywood audiences and cemented his reputation. Produced by Robert L. Boyett, Thomas L. Miller and Chris Thompson – later responsible for other iconic sitcoms such as Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley Mork & Mindy Perfect Strangers Full House Family Matters among many others – Bosom Buds ran for four seasons from 1991-1994 on CBS.
This article will outline the cast and roles they play within Bosom Buddies as well as provide interesting facts about them. Furthermore, we will address frequently asked questions regarding Bosom Buddies and its cast.
1. Tom Hanks stars as Kip Wilson/Buffy Wilson in this NBC television film.
Tom Hanks stars as Kip Wilson/Buffy Wilson, a graphic artist at Livingston, Gentry & Mishkin advertising agency who devises a plan to disguise himself as women while living at Susan B. Anthony Hotel while secretly in love with Sonny Lumet while getting into trouble due to his disguises and lies.
Tom Hanks has long been one of Hollywood’s beloved actors, winning two Academy Awards for Best Actor performances in Philadelphia (1993) and Forrest Gump (1994). Ethan Hawke has appeared in critically-acclaimed and commercially successful films like Big (1988), A League of Their Own (1992), Sleepless in Seattle (1993), Apollo 13 (1995), Saving Private Ryan (1998), The Green Mile (1999), Cast Away (2000) and The Da Vinci Code (2006) as well as Captain Phillips (2013) Saving Mr Banks (2013) Bridge of Spies (2015) Sully (2016) A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019) and News of the World (2023). He voiced Woody in the Toy Story franchise (1995-2019), produced numerous films and television shows such as Band of Brothers (2001), The Pacific (2010), My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002), Mamma Mia! (2008), The Polar Express (2004) Greyhound 2020 as well as From the Earth to the Moon (1998).
Below is some trivia about Tom Hanks and his role in Bosom Buddies:
- He received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor in a Television Series Musical or Comedy for his work on Bosom.
- Buds, where he met Rita Wilson – later to become his wife She played Cindy as Kip’s alter ego who dates Buffy’s alter ego on screen.
- Bosom Buds required him to improvise much of his dialogue, and for his role he needed to shave his legs daily in preparation.
- Peter Scolari had previously collaborated with him on an episode of The Love Boat (1979).
2. Peter Scolari as Henry Desmond/Hildegard Desmond
Peter Scolari portrays Henry Desmond/Hildegard Desmond, an advertising copywriter employed at Livingston, Gentry & Mishkin advertising agency and Kip’s best friend/roommate at Susan B. Anthony Hotel who reluctantly agrees to dress as women so as to cohabit the space together. Henry tends to avoid confrontation while Amy Cassidy knows of their presence which brings them even closer together.
Peter Scolari is an actor widely recognized for his roles in various movies and television shows such as Newhart (1984-1990), Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: The TV Show (1997-2000), Doug in Girls (2012) until 2017, as Tad Horvath in Girls (2012-17), as well as Leo Wexler-Mann in Evil (2019-present). Additionally he has appeared in Polar Express (2004), That Thing You Do! (1996, Suburban Girl 2007, Camp Nowhere 1994 and several Broadway/Off-Broadway plays such as Hairspray/Wicked/Lucky Guy/Bronx Bombers etc.
Here are a few fascinating facts and figures about Peter Scolari and his role in Bosom Buddies:
- He received an Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series for his performance on Girls; while for Bosom Buds he donned a wig and false eyelashes as part of his costume to play his part. Furthermore, Tom Hanks collaborated on an episode of Taxi (1979).
- He had worked with Donna Dixon before on an episode of The Love Boat (1980), as well as Holland Taylor for The Bob Newhart Show in 1978.
3. Donna Dixon has taken over Sonny Lumet’s duties
Donna Dixon stars as Sonny Lumet, an alluring model/dancer/nurse living at the Susan B Anthony Hotel who quickly becomes Kip’s love interest and the object of his affections. Unfortunately for Sonny, Kip and Henry have their plans in mind to deceive Sonny by misrepresenting their intentions to Buffy (Kip’s alter ego).
Donna Dixon first gained notice as Miss Virginia USA in 1976 and Miss Washington D.C. World two years later in 1977. Since then she has made appearances in films and TV shows like Doctor Detroit (1983), Spies Like Us (1985), The Couch Trip (1988), Wayne’s World (1992), Exit to Eden (1994), Nixon ( 1995 ), Charmed ( 2001) and Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (2014) as well as being married to actor/comedian Dan Aykroyd since 1983.
Some fascinating facts about Donna Dixon from Bosom Buddies include:
- She earned a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television for her performance on Bosom Buds and met Dan Aykroyd while filming Doctor Detroit; eventually marrying and raising three daughters together.
- She had already worked with both Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari from The Love Boat (1980), as well as Holland Taylor in Bosom Buds (1981).
4. Holland Taylor as Ruth Dunbar: Bosom Buddies Cast
Holland Taylor plays Ruth Dunbar, Kip, Henry and Amy’s boss at Livingston Gentry & Mishkin advertising agency. Ruth is an unforgiving yet demanding individual who demands excellence from her employees; often criticizing Kip and Henry’s work while remaining unaware of any schemes being plotted behind their backs.
Holland Taylor, winner of an Emmy Award, has appeared in various movies and television programs throughout her career such as: The Practice (1998-2003), Two and a Half Men (2003-15), Legally Blonde (2001), Truman Show (1998) Wedding Date (2005) Baby Mama (2008) Mr Mercedes (2017-20) Hollywood Bill and Ted Face the Music.
The Talented Cast of Unaccompanied Minors Takes on Hilarious Airport Adventures
Cast of Unaccompanied Minors are a 2006 Christmas comedy film directed by Paul Feig and starring Lewis Black, Wilmer Valderrama, Tyler James Williams, Dyllan Christopher, Brett Kelly, Gia Mantegna and Quinn Shephard. Based on a true story originally told on public radio show This American Life in 2001 by Susan Burton (In the Event of an Emergency Put Your Sister Upright Position).
Top Cast of Unaccompanied Minors
This movie follows an unaccompanied minors who become trapped at an airport during a blizzard on Christmas Eve, and escape from Oliver Porter, their passenger relations manager, for various adventures throughout the airport. They learn to overcome differences and work as a cohesive unit during this journey.
Spencer Davenport (played by Dyllan Christopher)
Spencer Davenport (played by Dyllan Christopher) is an intelligent and resourceful boy determined to give his sister Katherine something from Santa. As leader of his group he devises a plan to escape from UM room.
Charlie Goldfinch (Tyler James Williams)
Charlie Goldfinch (Tyler James Williams) is an optimistic yet nerdy boy who loves Christmas and knows everything there is about an airport. He serves as Spencer’s best friend and is integral in supporting him with his plan.
Quinn Shephard plays Donna Malone
Quinn Shephard plays Donna Malone, an irreverent and sarcastic girl known for causing mischief and playing practical jokes on people. She has an intense crush on Charlie but often disagrees with Grace about everything – both being big targets for Donna to cause mischief!
Grace Conrad (played by Gia Mantegna)
Grace Conrad (played by Gia Mantegna) is an entitled and vain member of a wealthy family who obsesses over her appearance and cell phone usage. She takes particular dislike to Donna and often looks down upon those around her.
Timothy “Beef” Wellington (portrayed by Brett Kelly)
Timothy “Beef” Wellington (portrayed by Brett Kelly) is a shy and shy boy with a soft spot for animals, fearful of his stepfather Ernie who attempts to toughen him up, who makes friends with a dog named Simms at an airport.
Wilmer Valderrama plays Zach Van Bourke
Wilmer Valderrama plays Zach Van Bourke, an air terminal clerk known for being friendly and laid back. Assigned with watching over unaccompanied minors at the airport, but also willing to assist when needed, Zach makes everyone at ease by keeping things relaxed while providing guidance whenever required.
Oliver Porter (Lisa Black)
Oliver Porter (Lisa Black) serves as head of passenger relations at an airport and he’s known for being unpleasant, particularly towards children he finds unaccompanied, who he attempts to capture and ruin their fun.
FAQ: The Ultimate Guide to Your Questions
Q: What is the story of Unaccompanied Minors?
The film is inspired by Susan Burton, who found herself stuck at Chicago O’Hare International Airport with her younger sister at 15 years old due to bad weather. They had planned on traveling from California to New York, but their flight was cancelled; as a result they spent two days sleeping on chairs, eating fast food and making friends among unaccompanied minors in the airport.
Q: What are some of the funniest scenes from Unaccompanied Minors?
Unaccompanied Minors features some of the funniest scenes ever, such as:
- Spencer and Charlie create havoc when they try to impersonate flight attendants by making announcements over a PA system.
- Donna and Grace get into an altercation at the mall that leads them into a fight which leads them into the fountain, ending up there as victims.
- Beef dresses up as Santa Claus and rides his sleigh alongside Simms.
- Zach sings “Happy Holidays” alongside a mariachi band in the hotel lobby.
- Porter gets attacked by Simms and ends up covered with dog poop.
Q: What are some of the themes and messages contained within Unaccompanied Minors?
Unaccompanied Minors explores various themes and messages such as:
- Holiday season highlights the significance of family and friendship.
- Giving and receiving gifts brings immense pleasure – not only material ones but also emotional ones.
- Teamwork and cooperation can be invaluable tools in facing difficulties and overcoming hurdles.
- Imagine and create, especially when having fun and creating memories! Imagination and creativity can transform lives.
Silent Witness Cast Inspires Millions of Fans with Their Stories
Silent Witness Cast: Silent Witness has been an award-winning British crime drama series since 1996. The show follows a team of forensic pathologists and scientists as they use their investigative expertise to track down perpetrators of various crimes. Over its run, many talented actors and actresses have graced its cast – some have become household names themselves! Here is a selection of some main cast members of Silent Witness with their roles onscreen.
Silent Witness Cast: What Are They Doing Now?
1. Emilia Fox | Silent Witness Cast
Emilia Fox has been one of the longest-standing cast members on Silent Witness since she joined in 2004, playing Dr. Nikki Alexander a forensic anthropologist and pathologist. As leader of her team and often getting personally involved in cases she works on, She exudes justice while still grappling with internal struggles regarding relationships and demons that come her way. Emilia Fox can also be seen in Merlin, The Pianist, Delicious and Strangers.
2. David Caves | Silent Witness Cast
David Caves joined Silent Witness as Jack Hodgson in 2013, an expert forensic scientist and former professional boxer specializing in blood pattern analysis and trace evidence. As Nikki often clashes with him but respects her nonetheless. With an unconventional personality and rebellious streak – as well as affection for his beloved dog Sasha! -, Caves also made appearances in Ironclad, The Frankenstein Chronicles, Peaky Blinders and Jackie.
3. Jason Wong | Silent Witness Cast
Jason Wong joined Silent Witness in 2020 as Dr. Adam Yuen, a forensic toxicologist and pharmacologist specialized in drugs and poisons. A brilliant but ambitious scientist, Adam is also passionate about comic books and video games; although at times their differing approaches to work and life cause friction between him and Jack; nevertheless he admires him greatly for his skills and experience. Additionally he has appeared in films like The Gentleman, Chimerica Strangers and Doom: Annihilation.
4. Genesis Lynea | Silent Witness Cast
Genesis Lynea first made an appearance on Silent Witness as Dr. Simone Tyler in 2020 as a forensic psychologist and profiler. She provides expertise to help the team understand criminal motivations and victim behaviors; in addition to flirting with Jack and Adam but being serious when necessary about her work. Genesis Lynea has since appeared in Endeavour, Humans, Doctors and Britannia.
Notable Guest Appearances
- Kevin Eldon portrays DI Michael Connor, an investigative police detective working closely with Nikki’s team and romantically involved with her.
- Nicholas Woodeson stars as Victor Alexander, Nikki’s estranged father who engages in dubious business practices.
- Amanda Burton stars as Sam Ryan (original protagonist from Silent Witness who was both a forensic pathologist and professor), an original protagonist from Silent Witness.
- Tom Ward played Harry Cunningham, an ex-member of the team and former forensic pathologist who became Nikki’s love interest;
- Liz Carr played Clarissa Mullery, also ex-member and now best friend.
- Richard Lintern stars as Thomas Chamberlain, a former member of the team who was both a forensic pathologist and head of Lyell Centre.
FAQ: The Ultimate Guide To Your Questions
Q: When did Silent Witness begin operations?
A: Silent Witness premiered on 21 February 1996 on BBC One and ran until 22 April 1998.
Q: How many seasons of Silent Witness exist?
A: Since its premiere, Silent Witness has produced 26 seasons containing 8-12 episodes each season.
Q: Where can I watch Silent Witness?
A: In the UK, Silent Witness can be watched on BBC One or BBC iPlayer, as well as various streaming platforms or channels available globally.
Q: Is Silent Witness based on a true story?
A: No, Silent Witness is not based on any real events; rather it draws inspiration from real-life forensic science cases and techniques.
Q: Who created Silent Witness?
A: Silent Witness was conceptualized by Nigel McCrery, an ex-murder squad detective based in Nottingham.
Bollywood6 months ago
Firangi Movie Box Office Collection | Hit or Flop
India6 months ago
Top 5 Regiment in Indian Army
Education6 months ago
Top 5 Education Board in India
India6 months ago
Top 5 Best and Greatest Prime Minister of India Ever
Sports6 months ago
Top 5 Best Olympics Swimmers of India
Bollywood6 months ago
Firangi Total Box Office Collection | Hit or Flop
News6 months ago
Ittefaq Movie Box Office Collection | Hit or Flop
India6 months ago
The Biggest Forest In India: Top 05 Forest In India