Coconut shrimp is a globally-recognized dish found across restaurants and cuisines worldwide. To create it, shrimp is coated in a combination of shredded coconut, flour and eggs before being deep-fried until golden and crisp. This shrimp has both sweet and savory flavors which pair perfectly with various sauces or dips such as sweet chili sauce, mango salsa or creamy coconut sauce for an irresistibly delightful appetizer that works for any special event: casual family dinners, festive parties or romantic date nights alike In this article we will show how to create it yourself using simple ingredients and steps.
Table of Contents
For making this shrimp, the following ingredients will be necessary.
- 1 pound of large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of shredded coconut, unsweetened
- Oil for frying
- Your favorite sauce or dip for serving
To make coconut shrimp, follow these steps:
1. Combine flour, salt and pepper in one small bowl; in another small bowl whisk eggs separately until well mixed; finally in another small bowl combine coconut.
2. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Dip each shrimp in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Next, dip each shrimp into an egg mixture, letting any extra fall off, before finally coating with coconut by gently pressing down on it to adhere it.
3. Heat 2 inches of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and fry the shrimp in batches, turning once, until golden and fully cooked through, about 3 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels to keep warm.
4. Enjoy your coconut shrimp with any sauce or dip of choice, such as sweet chili sauce, mango salsa or creamy coconut sauce.