In this article, Bill Hybels is an American church figure and author best known for founding Willow Creek Community Church – one of North America’s most attended congregations – as well as creating the Global Leadership Summit, an annual training event for leaders from different sectors. Hybels authored several books on Christian leadership that have had a huge influence over pastors and church planters around the globe; yet his legacy was marred by allegations of sexual misconduct and harassment that surfaced in 2018, leading him to leave both Willow Creek Community Church and Global Leadership Network altogether.
we explore Hybels’s life, ministry accomplishments, controversys, impact on evangelicalism more closely.
Early Life and Education
Table of Contents
- John was born in Kalamazoo, Michigan in 1951 and raised within a Christian Reformed Church with strong work ethics before experiencing a conversion experience at summer camp as a teenager.
- Study Biblical Studies at Trinity International University whilst serving Willow Creek Community Church as Youth Pastor at South Park Church and creating Son City Youth Group as Youth Pastor at Willow Creek.
- He conducted surveys in his community to discover why people weren’t attending church services regularly.
Willow Creek Community Church
- began with a seeker-sensitive approach when it was founded in 1975.
- Over time, attendance had reached 24,000 plus by 2018 and Willow Creek Association and Global Leadership Summit have both become annual events.
Global Leadership Summit and Willow Creek Association
- Established the Global Leadership Summit as an annual training event for leaders from various sectors in 1995.
- Attracted speakers like Condoleezza Rice, Bono, Melinda Gates and John Maxwell as guest speakers at this annual summit event; expanded it to more than 130 countries and over 400,000 participants by 2018.
- Establish the Willow Creek Association (later renamed Global Leadership Network) as an organization to assist churches and leaders.
- Produce resources like books, podcasts, curricula and coaching services.
Sexual Misconduct Allegations and Resignation
- As allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct surfaced from multiple women who worked or attended Willow Creek in 2018, its leadership denied them and claimed they were part of an elaborate plot against them, ultimately leaving both organizations.
- As public pressure mounted against him he made his exits effective April 2018 from Willow Creek and Global Leadership Network respectively.
- Independent investigation found him credible in February 2019 Remains silent and isolated since his resignation.
Legacy and Impact
- Considered one of the most influential evangelical leaders of his generation.
- Attracting many pastors and church planters towards adopting seeker-sensitive models of ministry; contributing to the expansion and innovation of evangelicalism across North America and beyond; challenging leaders to strive for excellence, integrity, and vision in their fields of endeavor.
- Damaged his reputation and credibility by his alleged misconduct and lack of accountability.