How To Wash A Hat: If you have a favourite baseball cap, chances are it’s a filthy, sweaty disaster.
It’s no surprise that your cherished baseball cap is looking a little worse for wear after all of the yard labour, summer treks, and long beach days it’s seen you through.
Learning how to clean a baseball cap properly can ensure that your hat lasts for many years (and treks and beach days).
Start with the gentlest cleaning procedure and work your way up, just like you would with other things. If your baseball cap is only slightly soiled, a brief soak in the sink will suffice. However, if you have major sweat stains, you’ll want to increase the stain-fighting strength. Start with the most gentle way in our baseball cap cleaning guide below.
How to Clean a Baseball Cap in a Flash
If your baseball cap just needs a quick wash, here’s how to do it.
1. Pour cool water into a clean sink or basin and add a drop or two of mild laundry detergent. To make suds, submerge the hat in the water and agitate it.
2. Soak the hat in the water for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove the hat and thoroughly rinse it with cool water. Squeeze extra water out of the hat gently, but avoid twisting the brim, as this will cause it to bend out of shape—Pat the cap down with a clean towel. Hang the hat to dry or reshape it and place it on a cloth to dry.
How to Clean a Baseball Cap Thoroughly
Here’s how to restore the appearance of a sweat-stained baseball cap.
1. Put on your gloves before you begin. Fill a clean sink or basin with cool water, then follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using colour-safe oxygen bleach, such as OxiClean.
2. Dip the hat into the water to target certain stains, then dab a dab of detergent on the stain. Scrub the affected region gently with a soft toothbrush.
3. Soak the hat for about an hour in the OxiClean solution. You should be able to see if the stains have been removed by inspecting the hat.
4. Rinse the hat under cold, running water. Then, to reshape and dry the hat, repeat steps three and four above.
Note: If you have an antique hat with a cardboard brim, avoid soaking it completely. Instead, use water and a gentle laundry detergent to spot-clean problem spots, being careful not to dump the cardboard.
Is it Really Possible to Wash a Baseball Cap in the Dishwasher?
While a baseball cap can be washed in the Dishwasher, you may not want to. Basically, if you care about the hat enough to read a whole post about how to clean it, you’ll want to wash it by hand using the techniques outlined above.
You can’t put an antique hat with a cardboard brim in the Dishwasher. If you must use the Dishwasher, use cold water and a gentle cycle, place the hat on the top rack, and double-check that your dishwashing detergent does not include chlorine.