Tomato confit is an easy and flavorful way to utilize fresh cherry tomatoes while turning them into an irresistibly versatile condiment. Confit is defined as slow cooking something soft and tender in fat (usually oil), in this instance cherry tomatoes cooked slowly with garlic, herbs, salt and pepper in olive oil until their juices start oozing out and they burst. The resultant sauce can then be used in numerous applications throughout the kitchen or used as an ingredient for other recipes.
How to Make Tomato Confit
Table of Contents
Making tomato confit is simple and only requires minimal ingredients and ingredients. Here are the steps:
- Preheat the oven to 180degC (170degC fan-forced). Line a baking tray with parchment paper for ease.
- Clean and dry the cherry tomatoes before placing them on your prepared tray in an even layer.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves before scattering them amongst the tomatoes.
- Add salt, pepper, and your desired dried or fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil (or any combination of them) over tomatoes and garlic for an easy but impressive dish!
- Drizzle olive oil generously over the tomatoes to ensure that they are all evenly covered.
- For best results, bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until tomatoes have softened and wrinkled while oil has begun to bubble and bubble away.
- Transfer the tomato confit to a glass jar or airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to one week, or three months in the freezer.
How to Use Tomato Confit
Tomato confit is an extremely versatile ingredient that can be used in various dishes. Here are a few ideas of ways it could be used:
- Spread it on toast or crostini and top it with cheese, fresh basil leaves or balsamic vinegar for an easy and quick appetizer or snack!
- Combine cooked pasta, some oil, and grated parmesan cheese for an easy yet satiating dinner option.
- Use it as pizza sauce, topping it off with your preferred ingredients and cheese, then baking until golden-brown and bubbling.
- Add flavor and moisture to grilled or roasted chicken, fish or vegetables by dousing with this flavor-packed sauce! It makes a tasty finishing touch.
- Mix it up with cream cheese, yogurt or sour cream for a delicious creamy-tangy dip or spread!
- Add it to soups, stews or casseroles for extra depth and richness.
Tomato confit is an easy and delicious way to experience the fresh and sweet taste of cherry tomatoes all year long! Give it a try now and experience its delightful transformation into any dish – you might just find that tomato confit makes everything more flavorful!