SMS Full Form: Short Message Service is the full form of SMS. It is simply a standardized protocol of interaction that is used to share text messages among mobile platforms.
It is one of the most widely used information apps. SMS can be transmitted using a smartphone, any other cell phone, or a computer device with internet access, among other devices.
What is the SMS Full Form
Table of Contents
A text message can have a maximum length of 160 alpha-numeric characters.
The SMS service is currently supported by CDMA, GSM, and TDMA mobile networks. SMS is available from all mobile communications companies, including Airtel, Idea, Vodafone, and others.
A brief history of text messaging | SMS Full Form
- The text messaging platform was originally introduced to mobile devices in the early 1980s.
- The GSM plan of action to provide services to public cellular networks and mobile platforms was approved in December 1982.
- As part of this plan, text message sharing was approved, either through mobile stations or through managing stations.
- In the end, Friedhelm Hillebrand and Bernard Ghillebaert developed the SMS concept in a Franco-German collaboration in 1984.
- The design of SMS was based on the idea of using optimal telecommunications networks to convey messages via signaling paths.
- Friedhelm Hillebrand agreed to limit text messages to 160 alpha-numeric characters in length.
SMS Advantages | SMS Full Form
- It is a highly secure and approved service for delivering confidential data, ensuring that the data is sent safely.
- It’s a far more discrete technique of transmitting information than a phone call.
- It is instantaneously disseminated on all mobile platforms and does not require internet access.
- People’s messages are preserved permanently until the individuals themselves erase them.
- It does not require the installation of any application because it is available on all mobile platforms.
SMS Limitations | SMS Full Form
- It has a limited range because each text message is limited to 160 characters.
- To send a text message, one must pay the delivery cost because the SMS service is not free.
- Once a text has been sent, it is not possible to cancel it.