How Can I Get PMP Designation?: Do you know that it pays to get PMP certified? A lot of project managers are starting to realize this. They are doing their best to get certified at the soonest possible time. You may be excited to start the process but it will help if you know if you are eligible to get certified. Do you know How to get PMP® Certification (Step by Step)? If not, now is the time for you to gain more details about this and the process that you will follow.
How Can I Get PMP Designation?
Are You Eligible to Get Certified?
All types of PMI certification will have certain requirements such as the following:
- A certain experience level
- Education level
- Proper skills
It is best that you have made the necessary preparations even before you start looking for the right place to get certified. If you want to know more about the eligibility requirements, it is best that you will know what type of certification you want to get. Do enough research so you can gain the right details.
Send Your Complete Application
Let us say that you have already chosen the certification that you want. You have also checked if you are eligible for the given criteria. What are you supposed to do next? You need to provide this information:
- Provide your contact information which will include your address, phone number, and your email.
- Give details about the schools that you have attended. You may also state the type of degree that you have attained.
- Discuss your domain experience. What are the programs and projects that you have done? You can also provide a portfolio of your work that will prove that you have handled different projects in the past. You also need to be specific about the time that you have spent on the project, the details of the organization, and all other information that you think will be important.
Your application will be open for 90 days after you have submitted it. Just imagine how hard it would be if you do not have the right details to complete the application. It will take multiple tries before you will finally complete the application.
Review Your Application
It may be complicated to know if you would pass. You will be told if your experience and your education will be valid with the needed guidelines. The application review will usually take about 5 to 10 days before it will be approved or denied.
There are times when there are details about the application that should be verified. You may receive some inquiries or emails to verify the information. Remember that not all of the project managers who sent their application will be chosen.
Sending Your Payment
Once your application has already been approved, you can now provide the required payment so that you can have the chance to become certified. There are various payment methods that are available that will allow you to pay at the soonest possible time. Once the payment has been received by the organization that you have chosen, you will be given an eligibility number. This will be your basis regarding when your test appointment is going to be. You do not have to panic that the test is going to happen soon. You may schedule your appointment within the year to be sure.
Taking the Exam
Once you have already scheduled the application, you will take the exam at the right time. Make sure that you will arrive on time because you will only be given four hours in order to complete the exam. There are 200 questions that you need to answer and they are in the form of multiple choice. You may think that the exam is easy because there are some choices that are available. It may seem that way but actually, the questions will be about potential situations that you will encounter as a project manager. Once you have finished the exam, you just need to wait for the exam results. It will not take too much time as you will immediately get the results on the same day.
If you have failed the exam, you need to pay the fee in order to do a re-take. You will pay $100 less if you are a member. If you are a non-member, the standard fee is $375. If in case you have passed the exam, you have successfully done it. You are not a certified PMP!
How to Maintain Your Credentials
It does not mean that just because you are already a certified PMP, you are going to stop learning. Remember that you have to take 60 PDUs every 3 years. You may also want to report the different PDUs. You also need to pay a renewal fee of $60 if you are a member and a fee of $150 if you are a non-member.
Tips to Pass the PMP Exam
You know that passing the PMP exam in one go is going to be more cost-efficient as compared to having to retake the exam again and again. There are certain things that you can do to improve your chances.
- You need to have a schedule that will allow you to plan everything that you need. This will help you do things according to plan. The exam can be overwhelming but if you make sure that you know what your goals are, it will be easier for you to achieve your exam goals.
- Check out the different study guides that are available. This will help you answer different guides properly. There is a PMBOK guide that you can use as a basis but this will not be enough for you to understand how to answer the PMP exam properly. The other study guides will surely help.
- Make sure that you will solve a lot of practice questions. This will help you become prepared for the potential questions that you will encounter when you are already taking the exam.
With all of these things in mind, you have a higher chance of passing the PMP exam and getting certified at the soonest possible time.