US-North Korea Summit: Seoul Dismisses Claiming Linking Withdrawal Of US Troops To An Upcoming Meeting: Seoul, May 2 South Korean President Moon Jae-in is today dismissing claims that US troops stationed in the country will have to leave if a peace treaty is signing with North.
US-North Korea Summit: Seoul Dismisses Claiming Linking Withdrawal Of US Troops To An Upcoming Meeting
Seoul and Pyongyang have remained technically at war since the year 1950s, but Moon and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un agree at the landmark summit in the last week to working towards the permanent treaty to replace a 65-year-old armistice agreement.
US Forces Korea is a matter of South Korea US Alliances.
It is nothing to do with signing peace on a treaty. Moon says that referring to the agreement that sees 28,500 US forces in South.
Moon’s comments came after a presidential adviser publicly suggesting the presence of US soldiers, sailors and airmen will be called into question if a peace treaty were to agree with Pyongyang.
Moon Chung-in has written in Foreign Affairs magazine that it would be difficult to justify US forces continuing the presence in South Korea after the adoption of a peace treaty.
The Blue House President Moon’s office has warned the adviser not to cause any more confusion, with such comments, spokesman Kim Eui says.
The rebuttal came as Seoul’s defence ministry confirmed that several US fighter jets have in a country to taking part in a regular joint exercise.
The F-22 “Raptor” stealth fighters last came to the South in December when Seoul and Washington staging their largest-ever joint air exercise, days after North Korea test-firing a missile believing to capable of hitting US mainland.
Local media reporting eight F-22 jets has arriving Sunday at an airbase in the southern city of Gwangju.
The North customarily reacting with anger to the deployment of American stealth fighters, which it fears can be used for surgical strikes against its leadership and strategic facilities.
However, Kim Jong Un has recently shown a more conciliatory attitude, telling Seoul envoy Chung Eui-Yong in March which he understands the need for the US-South Korea joint exercises.
The Max Thunder drill will kick off on May 11 for two weeks, with the reporting participation of 100 aircraft from both countries.
The defence ministry is urging news media to refrain from producing speculative reports about the move.
That request came after the conservative Chosun Ilbo daily claiming the aircraft deployment can be intending to heap pressure on Pyongyang ahead of a planning summit between Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump.
Max Thunder is a regular exercise that has been on the docket long before a planning US-North Korea summit, the defence ministry says in a statement.
The Panmunjom truce village in the demilitarising zone between North and South, where last week’s inter-Korean summit was convening, has emerged as a possible venue for the Kim-Trump meeting.
The Chosun Ilbo daily is suggesting the arrival of F-22 jets can also be aiming at bolstering security in case the North Korea-US summit takes place at Panmunjom.
So, these are the points to describe on the US-North Korea summit Seoul dismisses claiming linking withdrawal of US troops to an upcoming meeting.
Comment your suggestions on the going through of the Article.